Mariachis Big Competition

JacQuelyn Urrutia and Hector Montes

The mariachi will be going to Eastwood High School for a competition, on January 31 @ Eastwood High School.

Ms. Rios and Mr. Rios, mariachi instructors, stated that they have been practicing for two hours each day to be more ready than ever for this competition.

“We’re having rehearsals as often as we can, and trying to utilize the resources that we can, getting into the theater as often as we can, and trying to use the microphones, as well as we had a couple of earlier performances when we were able to  get valuable feedback from other experts in mariachi, not in the form of rating but in the form of commentary and common sheets in the small clinic,” Mr. Rios said.

There has been some changes throughout mariachi and one of the changes is that most of the students are seniors and they know what’s at stake and the competitions are more established and the bar is higher.

“It’s really different since we have 9 students that will be graduating this year and we’ve all been working really hard, they know what is like to get this far so we want them to succeed and achieve their goals so it’s a really great opportunity because of the knowledge they had from the past years of competition,” Ms. Rios said.

They both hope for the best in the competition and for the mariachi to do their best.

“I always have one simple expectation of my students is that we make the most beautiful music that we can and we put on the best show we can, and if we work on that and are able to achieve it at a high level, then we should be able to achieve the best results that we can and if not at least we’re able to work towards something,” Mr. Rios said.