Class online vs. face-to-face

Monica Escarcega

Nearly two months ago, thousands of students returned to campus to resume classes, following health measures. Some of them were happy to be able to see their friends, live together more, get to know their schools and some of them were sad to have to leave the comfort of their beds.

“I prefer face-to-face, I can concentrate more,” said Fatima Escarcega, senior at Bowie High School. “Online you get distracted and don’t pay as much attention as in face-to-face classes.”

“I prefer online classes; they are more comfortable,” junior Fernanda Herrera said, “In online classes I can be lying down and in my pajamas, more comfortable, but in face-to-face classes I can see my friends, I feel that I learn better in face-to-face classes, I don’t know, I like both,” she added.

Grades were a big controversy last year, with many students complaining that the online classes did not teach very well, and their grades were significantly below average, and many others saying they did better online because they could look up the answers on the internet.

“When attending face-to-face classes I feel oppressed and stressed as there is still covid,” said Emily Resendiz, junior at Bowie High School, “Although I think my grades get better because of better teacher attention to students and online teachers don’t know what their students are doing at home.”

Of course, with the return to classes, students are not the only ones who can express their opinion, parents have also shown their dissatisfaction with the return to campus, most of them worried about their little children, as they are more prone to contract the virus since they are not vaccinated.

“I would like to have him always at home, but I prefer him to attend face-to-face classes, I feel and think that online classes are not as good as face-to-face classes, that you don’t learn in the same way, and I think he needs to interact in a classroom. But I don’t mind her being at home at all if the situation gets worse,” mentioned Mr. Escarcega, a Bowie parent.

“I prefer online because I have a little boy and he can’t be vaccinated,” said Ms. Marquez, another Bowie parent.

“I think that children are not affected by the virus in the same way as adults, they can attend school if they take the same care as adults,” opinion of Mr. Escarcega.

Some doctors and specialists assure that it is most likely that in mid-October the vaccine can be applied to children under 12 years of age, but for now it is recommended that both young people and children use the mask inside and outside the classroom to prevent.