Singing for the Future

Alexis Jackson, Staff Writer

The Growler caught up with Israel to ask him about how singing was a part of his life.

Israel Aguayo, 12, started singing when he was 5 years old. He may not be in choir this year but will still be in the choir room any time he can. He decided to join choir last year instead of his freshman, sophomore and half of his senior year.

Last semester he wasn’t in choir due to choir being first and second periods, Aguayo had core classes for those periods and couldn’t be switched around. He had Piano for fourth period last semester but would practice his singing for Choir.

“I would have wanted to be in the choir class but I had to catch up on my class because I would ditch,” Aguayo said.

His greatest weakness he had while singing was constantly going to falsetto and trying to control it.

“If I had control of singing in falsetto then it would be a lot easier to transition into a different octave when I’m singing in an event for choir, ” Aguayo said.

Aguayo had many moments in Choir, but the most memorable moment he had was at the end of year concert last year because it was going to be the last time he was going to sing with a friend because he was leaving and moving to another school. Aguayo is still attending Bowie for now. He is going to continue to be in choir after high school so he can learn to control his falsetto and once he controls it. Aguayo would like to become a singer in the future due to how much he enjoys singing.

“I enjoy singing and it had been a part of my life since I was little and I don’t know what I would do if I weren’t able to sing,” Aguayo said.

It may be his last year in high school but he still had fun while it lasted and plans to have even more fun in his college choir classes.

“I have a feeling that in college, the classes will be harder and more competitive but I’ll still have fun,” Aguayo said.