JEA Convention: A trip to Dallas

Kimberly Robledo, Staff Writer

In November of 2017, Bowie students from the journalism and broadcasting program took a trip to Dallas to attend a national high school journalism convention hosted by the Journalism Education Association and the National Scholastic Press Association. Thousands of students attended this convention to learn new techniques used in journalism.

“I got inspired by this one person who was doing a lecture. He was showing us the artwork that he did and how he incorporates art into photographs. I thought it was pretty cool and I wanted to get into that,” Patricia Mojarro, 11, said.

Schools also come to compete in different competitions at the convention, including the best yearbooks and websites. There are also workshops available that provide training for prospective journalists.

“I learned how to write stories better, what techniques to use when doing headlines, and graphic designs to incorporate them in articles,” Mojarro said.

Last time Bowie Students went to this convention was in April 2016 at Los Angeles, they traveled in a bus with 5 different schools. 

The trip came with a lot of fun for the students. Other than the journalism content, they went around to visit different places around Dallas. The students went out to many restaurants and places, such as the Dallas Museum of Art. The students also discovered what the downtown area held.

All of the students had a great learning and interesting experience on their trip.

“My favorite part of the trip was going to all the different restaurants,” Mojarro said.