Making a Passion a Career

Francisca Chairez and Karen Cervantez

Ms. Mariana Castaneda is a dance teacher who is very good at communicating and making all choreographies fun and exciting. She is not only a teacher but a mom and a friend to her students.

When Ms. Castaneda first started, she struggled to get a job, she first had to become a substitute teacher for a while and once she got the opportunity to get an actual job as a dance teacher she took it.

“Of course there were many, many obstacles. First of all my college classes, they were hard, especially my speech class. Speech class was the class I struggled the most. While applying for a job I also struggled finding a job and competing against other candidates to get a job,” Ms. Castaneda said.

Teaching has many accomplishments. An accomplishment that can be done is with students.

“When my students take the stage and get their diplomas, that’s what I like to see and just think that they will become someone better, someone better than our parents, someone better than ourselves and the fact that they’re going to be the new leaders in life,” Ms. Castaneda said.

Studying can have many benefits to it, such as a good job that does not involve going out in the sun doing hard labor, but rather working in a nice place.

“Keep studying! Keep studying no matter how long it takes you. If it takes you 18 months, two years, four years or eight years. Keep studying because like I always tell them, ‘El que estudia mas se ch—- menos.’ and I am sorry for the bad word but that’s the way it is,” Ms. Castaneda said.

Being a teacher is not easy. Especially as a mom, you have many more jobs outside of being a teacher. Accomplishing obstacles in life makes one proud.

“My son and teaching the new generation are accomplishments that I am personally proud of. My kids come in here ready to learn and hopefully they get to learn something useful for the outside world,” Ms. Castaneda said.

As a teacher and a mom, many dreams are encountered. Especially when you fall in love with your job.

“I imagine my son coming with me, dancing with my classes and dance team,” Ms. Castaneda said.

Many people will help you along the way of a carrier, but some won’t.

“My friends from work also are always supportive. My family, my dance teacher from high school, which I am still in touch with,” Ms. Castaneda said.

Being interested in a subject can right away tell you if you will study that when you grow up. Like Castaneda right away loved dance.

“I felt that dance was my passion and that was what I wanted to do,” Ms. Castaneda said.