The Math Adds Up

Shayla Marquez, Writer

Mrs. Veronica Juarez is a math teacher that shows that she loves what she does.

Mrs. Juarez said that she only had three jobs before being a teacher, she work at Mervyn’s where they sell clothes, at Subway and at UTEP.

“The first two jobs didn’t help me with getting ready for teaching, because I was just in high school when I did them, but the last job, since I got to teach pre-cal at a college level with college students. It helped me to know how to set up my classroom, it helps me explain things better, because it was practically teaching but more tutoring, so it’s kind of similar and it help me in some ways,” Mrs. Juarez said.

Mrs. Juarez said that she wanted to teach students how to be responsible by making sure they do their own homework, trying the best on the test, asking questions when they need to and her expectations have not change.

“My expectation are that all students learn what i’m trying to teach them as many as possible, and I want them learn to be responsible,” Mrs. Juarez said.

Mrs. Juarez said that having a passion is very important because students need teachers that love what they do.

“I have seen students that do very well when they explain to other students, I have seen students that do very well in a specific subject, for example if they do very well in math and they understand how to explain it to other student then I would motivate them to be a teacher,” Mrs. Juarez said.

Mrs. Juarez said that teaching different ways to teach the same thing is a challenge that comes with the job.

“Challenges are getting all students to learn even if other students don’t want to. Challenges are getting students to learn in different ways, so sometimes they don’t understand the first way so I want to teach them in different ways,” Mrs. Juarez said.

Mrs. Juarez said that she loves interacting with students and learning or teaching them things that they didn’t know before.

“I enjoy that when you guys understand something it makes me feel like I did my part,” Mrs. Juarez said.

Mrs. Juarez said that her first year teaching was difficult but she still loved it.

“My first year teaching was kind of difficult. I didn’t really want to be the bad guy so I didn’t want to be so strict but I think I should’ve been more strict because students wouldn’t have gotten so crazy,” Mrs. Juarez said.

Mrs. Juarez said that her sister that is three years younger inspired her to be a teacher.

“Well my sister, she is like three years younger than me so I would always help her on her math homework and she would tell me that she would understand after I helped her. So she made me feel like I should be a teacher,” Mrs. Juarez said.

Mrs. Juarez said that her favorite thing about teaching at Bowie is that if students and teachers all get along we have a lot of fun.

“My favorite thing is the community, you guys seem to match well together,” Mrs. Juarez said.

Mrs. Juarez said that she doesn’t plan on teaching her whole life just like 5-6 more years.

”I don’t plan to teach my whole life I want to teach five or six more years but then I want to be an AP or a principal,” Mrs. Juarez said.