Science Fair Makes its Return

Katherine Villegas, Staff Writer

This year will be the first year that the science fair comes to Bowie on Wednesday, Dec. 12 in the cafeteria. The students participating in the science fair are going to be pulled out of class at 3:30 P.M. to set up their projects and the judging will begin at 4:10 P.M..

“I think the science fair brings awareness and it’s getting students involved in possibly research or just simulating their brains, as far as knowledge for science. So it just gets students kind of into the subjects instead of just reading books and learning about the application of science,” Mr. Fernandez, science teacher and organizer of the science fair, said.

According to Mr. Fernandez, about 12 students are expected to participate. Some students will be in groups and some will be individual. Since this is the first year Mr. Fernandez said he is hoping that it will be a good one, he also said he and other science teachers are looking to finish strong and are excited for a stronger group next year.

The science fair is open to any student that is willing to research and do a project. Students are encouraged to find a problem and gather enough information to help fix that problem and demonstrate it. The results will be given to the students a one or two days after the judging and there will be an assembly to announce the winner and pass out the prizes.

“The students will participate locally in the high school and whoever wins from that will go on to the district meet and after district is sun country science fair and lastly is a regional science fair. I encourage student to join the science fair and if it’s not this year then maybe next year, they can some ideas and save it for next year, and if they need help all the science teachers are on board, basically we encourage students to come check out the projects,” Mr. Fernandez said.