Getting the most out of art

Hector Montes, Staff Writer

Mr. Salazar, New Tech art teacher, is a master at practicing what he preaches.

“At first I started doing wood burning pieces and just posted them on Facebook. People started to want to buy my art, so I decided that if I could get something for it, like why not?” Salazar said.

Salazar has also said that he has always sold art, but he started making art specifically for selling about a year ago.

Salazar said that the first time he started to sell his art was at Punk Rock Flea Market and said it felt great because he was making money from what he likes to do.

“I charge depending on how long I work and material, usually I charge $20 per hour spent on wood burnings. I sell my art when I finish working on my art at Punk Rock Flea Markets once a month. I felt great, basically it motivated me to keep doing and selling art,” Salazar said.

Salazar said that he usually works on his art at his studio at home, but sometimes he’ll work on it after school. Salazar said that his art is usually wood burning pieces about mother nature and females that have to do with nature. At first he would sell 4×4 ft. pieces but he says that he found out that smaller pieces are sold more. So he started making more 5×7 in. pieces to sell.

“I thought it was pretty cool because I knew he was an art teacher and he is a really good artist,” his son and current student, Sebastion Salazar, 10, said. “The whole idea of selling your creation was pretty cool. It doesn’t really affect me but the fact that he is an artist. Since I was little he was teaching me.”

Sebastian said that his father started selling art before he was even born. He also said that it affects him the most when his father takes him and his family anywhere to sell his art.

“It’s pretty talented for someone to make art and sell it. I am not very social so when we have to go to his art exhibits it’s not fun. Most of the time,” Sebastian said.

“I feel really happy because he’s making a profit from something he likes doing. I find it interesting that people enjoy what he’s making,” said Kimberly Robledo, 10.

Robledo said that she found out about it six months ago and she thinks he enjoys it because people notice that what he is making is interesting.

“I think it helps him be more expressive and he enjoys that people like his creativity,” Robledo said.