Getting to know the volleyball coach

Angelica Salazar and Alondra Rodriguez

Q: What inspired you to be a volleyball coach?

A: A long time ago, I was able to meet some girls at a camp who told me I should be a volleyball coach.

Q: How many years have you been coaching?

A: I been coaching since 2001.

Q: How did you get to coaching varsity volleyball?

A: My first 4 years were coaching were middle school. Then there was a opportunity to coach high school varsity, but then I felt I was not ready, so I left to Austin, Texas. I was there for about 8 years, learning with different mentors, with different varsity coaches so I can be a better coach.

Q: What other coaching jobs did you have to get here?

A: I’ve been a middle school coach, a freshman coach, a JV coach and all those different coaching positions I had to work with varsity coaches and who are molding me to be a better coach.

Q: Was it difficult making it this far?

A: I don’t think it has been difficult, but personally, I wanted to make sure I was ready. So I made sure I worked with the right people to be able to be in the position I am at right now, to feel comfortable and confident to take this position.

Q: What brought you to Bowie?

A: Oh man. Bowie is just an awesome place. It was one of my friends who works here that always talks really, really great about this school, very strong and fierce competitors. I knew that this is where I wanted to come.

Q: What is your goal this year with our volleyball team?

A: To go to playoffs.

Q: What has been a struggle coaching volleyball and at Bowie?

A: Getting the girls to believe in themselves, because they had, for a long time, gotten used to losing and not creating goals and achieving those goals. So getting the girls confidence to create goals and achieve them.

Q: What do you emphasize when it comes to coaching volleyball?

A: Team work, team building, learning how to play together and communication.

Q: What’s the best part about Bowie?

A: The students, best students ever.

Q: What goal would you like to accomplish this year that would make it a complete success?

A: Just to have the girls to have confidence on themselves.