Growler

Baseball Takes 3rd-Straight Title, Top Seed

Armando Yanez, Sports Writer

With a trip to the playoffs at stake in their last regular season game, the baseball team defeated Chapin High School 2-0 to clinch a share of the district championship and finish the season with a district record of 12-4. History was made, as Bowie repeated as district champs for the third year in a row.

“We had a high level of confidence going into this game, and I kept telling the kids this week that we have multiple opportunities and we have to take advantage of them. We got some help during the week with Canutillo beating Andress, so our confidence level was really high this week. This game being at home along with Senior Night really gave the kids a sense of not wanting to go home as losers, so they knew what this game meant to our season and to them,” coach Juan Camacho said.

After two scoreless innings, the bottom of the third proved to spark the Bears’ momentum, as two hits toward deep right-center field brought in runners on base to home plate, giving Bowie a 2-0 lead. Strong pitching from Miguel Mata would haunt Chapin all game long, as he only gave up one hit to lead them to the title.

“I feel very proud of myself but more importantly my team. I knew that I was going to pitch this game and I was really confident coming into this game, knowing that the district championship was on the line. This win just gives us more confidence heading into the playoffs,” Mata said.

The team shared the title with Andress and Canutillo, who each played significant games down the stretch of the season as well in pursuit of the district championship. Several seniors on the team will certainly remember this game with it being their last, and for the guys who will come back, it only boosts their confidence in what they can do in seasons ahead.

“We’ve been district champs both years that I’ve been here so for me to come back next season, we are going to have lots of confidence going forward, especially because we have experience going to the playoffs. But now, we are just focusing on the playoffs ahead of us, and whoever we play,” coach Camacho said.

The following day, they beat Andress to take the first-overall seed.

The team will face Ysleta High School in a best-of-three game bi-district championship series starting Thursday, May 2, at home, with game two at Ysleta May 3, and a potential game three (if necessary) back home May 4.