Mixed reactions to new laptops for freshmen

Matthew Arambula and Maleny Barba

Assistant principal Mr. Michael O’Connor said the district chose to give new laptops to incoming freshmen. He said the district spent “several million of dollars” on the Macbook Airs but found them extremely useful.

“I think it was good to be given to the freshman because if seniors would of get them, the Microsoft wouldn’t last as in the freshman they can use them all through high school and even college,” Mr. O’Connor said.

The seniors found it unfair for the freshman to get the Macbook Airs instead of them since they have more projects to focus on since they are already going to graduate.

“The freshman are not mature enough to take care of an Apple device. We seniors that are going to graduate already need them more for college,” Sergio Cardona, 12, said.

However the freshman do use the laptops daily since they use Schoology.

“All the curriculum use Schoology. They are automatically used in all classes,” O’Connor said.

This decision was made by many people that work in the district for example the technology team and was presented to the school board and school board approved.

Joel Rodriguez, New Tech teacher, said giving the freshman Macs was a very positive move for them to do.

“I think the fact that the freshman received Macs was very positive and a very good thing. The reason for is we live in a world where we have to be updated with the latest technology and the latest technology they are very fast, the office programs that are their are up to date and zero problems,” Mr. Rodriguez said.

The freshman really like the Macs and their has not been so far any problems with the freshman taking care of them.

“I have seen that they have done a good job with taking care of them. There are about only one or two forgetting them but other than that, they take pretty good care of them,” Mr. Rodriguez said.

However, the only issue they have is that the districts blocked features they could used.

The freshman are not so familiar with the program but they are slowly getting used to it.

“We say they are familiar with the programs but they don’t know the full capacity, but overall I don’t think they know how good of a computer they have in their hands,” Mr. Rodriguez

The freshman obviously love the Macs and are looking forward to learn more about them through the year.

“What I love more about the Macs is that the programs are better than the other computers they have given,” Julianna Salas, 9, said.