Ordaz named permanent principal at Bowie High School

Reposted from EPISD.org
Story by Gustavo Reveles

Francisco J. Ordaz, an experienced educator with a long history of serving schools in Segundo Barrio, was named the permanent principal at Bowie High School today.

Ordaz has served as interim principal at Bowie since February. He will take the helm of the school on a permanent basis following an extensive search for a new principal.

“Mr. Ordaz understands the privilege and responsibility that comes with being the principal at Bowie High School. I am confident he has the passion to help us implement the academic goals we have set for this school,” Superintendent Juan Cabrera said. “We are bringing innovative and forward-thinking programs to help students achieve at unprecedented levels.”

Ordaz is no stranger to the Bowie family. Since 2013 and until his appointment as interim principal, he served as an assistant principal at the South Side school. In addition, he also served as an assistant principal at Guillen Middle School, a feeder school into Bowie.

Ordaz’s entire educational career has been with EPISD. His first assignment was as a special-education teacher at Hornedo Middle School in 2000. He also worked at Canyon Hills Middle School, and the District’s home-hospital teacher program.

A graduate of the University of Texas at El Paso, Ordaz has a bachelor’s degree in political science with a minor in rhetoric. His master’s degree in educational administration also is from UTEP.

“I am humbled to be given this opportunity to serve the historic community of Bowie High School,” Ordaz said. “My goal is to work with our community – from the students and parents to the alumni and partners – to ensure that all students have access to high-level education opportunities.”

A pep rally to celebrate Ordaz’s appointment is planned for 8 a.m. on Friday, Dec. 8, in the main gym of Bowie High School, 801 S. San Marcial.