More than tradition

Photo by Litzy Bravo

Litzy Bravo, Staff Writer

Some walk to school or ride the bus, but sometimes students have to make a journey just to get to school. The Growler caught up with the student to ask him why such a trip is worth.

He opens his eyes and sees darkness.He is somebody who sleeps when it is dark and wakes when it is still dark out. Even though the sun has not risen he needs to be awake.It is 4 am and the one thing that he feels is exhaustion from his sore muscles. He is someone that has to be up this early every day just so he can keep the tradition going.

Miguel Rodriguez, 11, travels from Mountain View every day just to attend the same high school his dad did so many years ago. Rodriguez said the reason stays at this school is because of students work ethic.

“I like when people struggle, I like to see them build up what they want and not for the teachers to give them passing grades, I like them to work for it,” Rodriguez said.

The thing that keeps Rodriguez at Bowie is the band program.

“The band students help me free my mind out of everything. For instance, if I have problems at home they are the ones that help me with everything if I have a problem with something I know I  can count on someone from the band.” Rodriguez said.

What keeps Rodriguez motivated to come to school each is the words of encouragement.

“Well, people don’t tell me to not do anything they always encourage me to try harder and to do my best,” Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez’s favorite thing about Bowie is the band.

”I like Band. I like to come to the band room. The band room is like my second home” Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez said his favorite memory in Band was when they advanced to area competition in UIL.

“I remember my eyes were watery because I saw everyone’s faces of disbelief and happiness and just seeing them made me more happy because they had the opportunity to do something better in their life,” Rodriguez said.

Whether he inherited from his dad or not, Rodriguez has grown a strong pride in his school.

”Well, I just have pride in my school. I don’t know how to explain it, it is just something I feel” Rodriguez said.

“I like when people struggle I like to see them build up what they want and not for the teachers to give them passing grades I like them to work for it,” Rodriguez said.