By Day Bowie Students, By Night Workers

Natalia Diaz, Staff Writer

There are some students at Bowie High School that not only attend school, but they also work as well.

Alexis Chavez is a senior student who is recently new at her job, she has been working for a month at Whataburger, the restaurant that is located next to Bowie.

“I usually do not have homework but when I do, I do it in classes where I do not do anything or where I don’t get work by the teachers,” Chavez said.

Also, as she is new at her job, Chavez said that she works mostly from Thursday to Sunday from 3 pm to 9 pm.

“The main reason I decided to work to be financially independent,” Chavez said.

She wanted to become an independent person and manager her money wisely, she thinks that having a job will help her to be more responsible in life.

Gabriel Romo is a senior that works at Whataburger too. He has been working for about 1 year and 7 months, since June 2017.

“I don’t have a lot of homework but it is easy to manage my time because I work at night, so I have time to do it during the afternoon,” Romo said.

He usually works from Friday to Sunday at night from 8 pm to 8 am. When he gets out of school, he goes to his house and has some lunch, and then he comes back to work.

The main reason he started working was that he wanted to earn his own money and do not be asking his parents for money. Romo said that the longest time that he had stayed working is for 16 hours consecutively.

“Even though I like to work there are sometimes that I don’t feel like going because I get out from work very tired,” Romo said.

Luis Picazo is a junior student that also works in a restaurant, the Whataburger next to UTEP.

He usually works from Tuesday to Friday from 5 pm to 11 pm, and when he works graveyard he works Friday and Saturday.

“When I have a lot of homework I usually take it to work and when I am on break I do it,” Picazo said.

He borrows his Aunt’s car so he can get there and when there is no opportunity to borrow it he takes the bus all the way there. The latest that Picazo has been at work in school days is at 1 am.

“I make the decision to work because I did not want my mom to pay bills by herself so I wanted to help her,” Picazo said.

He has been working since April 20, 2018, and he is very glad to be working and help his mom, also he is more mature in what money may concerns.