Having the Knowledge of the Past

Alberick Acosta and Abner Alaniz

Ms. Castillo is a world history teacher that has influenced many fellow teachers and students, overcoming obstacles to become one as an English-language learner early on.

“Spanish was my first language so when I moved here it was difficult for me to get what I wanted because I needed to learn English,” Ms. Castillo said.

Ms. Castillo said that it was very difficult for her to learn English when she moved to the U.S. because she lived in Mexico and her first language was Spanish.

Ms. Castillo said before being a school teacher, she started off in a children’s home, then went on to being a substitute teacher, to a teacher aid, to a social studies teacher.

“First I started in a children’s home and then I noticed that I loved working with teenagers and then from there I become a substitute teacher, teacher aid and then a teacher,” Ms. Castillo said.

Ms. Castillo said without education, there’s no way you could get to where you want to be but with an education, she feels the chances that you’ll get to where you want to be will be faster.

“Very important, because without my previous career I wouldn’t be able to my certification here. When you have education, it helps you get where you want to be,” Ms. Castillo said.

Ms. Castillo said she became a teacher because her mom always wanted it to be a teacher, not that she wanted to be a teacher earlier in her life but thanks to her mom she loves what she does now.

“I guess it was my mom because she always wanted to be a teacher. Even though my initial career was not to be a teacher, I was an attorney in Mexico she was the one who made me love what I do now,” Ms. Castillo said.

Ms. Castillo said she’s proud of herself and accomplishments at the end of each school year because her students leave knowing something about the subject.

“I’m very proud when school is over and knowing that my students learned something in my class,” Ms. Castillo said.

Ms. Castillo said she has gone this far thanks to her family and students who have helped her along the way.

Ms. Castillo said the biggest accomplishment she’s most proud of was when she got her career as a teacher here at Bowie. She said that no matter what she will always see herself as a teacher and a happy person.

“I see my future as a teacher and also as a happy person because I do what I want and what I love,” Ms. Castillo said.

Ms. Castillo had one small piece of advice for her younger students and relatives.

“Do what you love and don’t give up,” Ms. Castillo said.