Football Looks to Bounce Back on Homecoming Night vs. Irvin

Photo by Chris Baca

Armando Yanez, Sports Writer

After a 2-3 start to the season and a bye week to look over their first five games, the Bears football team will look to get back on the winning column as they take on Irvin High School on Oct. 12, 2018 for their Bowie Homecoming game.

After losing their district opener against El Paso High, the Bears football team still remain optimistic about the rest of the season as well as their chances to make the playoffs.

“We still feel really good about ourselves. It’s not the start we wanted but that doesn’t really hurt our confidence. We love playing with each other and we’re just gonna keep doing that. There’s nothing we can do about the past so we are all just gonna keep looking forward”, defensive back John Moran said.

Quarterback Justin Diaz will be back under center as he returns from injury, and will look to push the team forward into the season.

“The team has been great while I’ve been gone, and I feel like nothing will change from me coming back onto the field. I feel good and I feel like I can help the team out,” Diaz said.

The Bears have had two weeks to reflect on their first five games, and the team seems to be on the same page when it comes to what needs to improve and what need to be the mindset going into their last five games.

“Right now we are only focusing on this game against Irvin. We are working on everything from picking up blocks to having our linebackers fill in the holes to executing every play as great as we can. We are working on everything. Offense, defense, everything so we can be better as a whole. We feel really good about these last five games” linebacker Sergio Reyes said.