Teams Meet for 68th Battle of the Southside

Armando Yanez, Sports Writer

Coming off a 49-21 loss to Andress last week, the Bears will take the field one last time as they finish the season with the Battle of the Southside against Jefferson High School Nov. 8 at the Sun Bowl.

Both teams are looking to pick up their first district win of the season, but more importantly, the years worth of bragging rights until their next meeting.

“This game is really important to us because it’s our last chance to win our first district game of the season, but it’s our rivals Jefferson. It’s also my last game so all of it make it all more memorable”, defensive back John Moran said.

This game will be an emotional one for the Bears, as 24 seniors will be playing not only their last game of the season, but of their high school careers as well.

(This game is very important for us because this is our last game of the season and getting a win especially against our rivalry would be the best because that would also mean getting the helmet back to where it belongs.My emotions are going to be all over the place on and off the field considering this will be my last football game at my home school.)

Felix has consistently been the Bears’ best player this season so far, as he averages 17.2 carries, 98.8 yards and 1 touchdown per game this season through 9 games.

Aside from the rivalry and the wins, this game means a lot to the Bears because of last year’s upset, where Jefferson knocked Bowie out of playoff contention on the last week before district championships.

“Last year we had them and we let them take it from us, and we missed playoffs because of that, so this time we are going all out. We owe the people this one, especially because it’s against Jeff”, linebacker Sergio Reyes said.

Reyes is also a senior who will be making this last game of the season his best one.

After a last weeks worth of practice, head coach Robert Padilla will lead his team one last time in search of their first district win and regaining the helmet, as they take on rivals Jefferson High School in their last game of the season at the Sun Bowl.