The Knowledge of the World Passed On

Destiny Pedroza and Christian Rocha

Ms.Garcia is a social studies teacher who’s very dedicated to work.

“I love history so much so that is what I decided to do and I had my mind in secondary education. I decided that I wanted to teach high school social studies,” social studies teacher, Ms.Garcia said. 

When she was at UTEP, her major was history and started to think what she could do with that until someone suggested teaching.

“It was very important you can’t even begin to teach unless you graduate and get a bachelor’s degree so finishing college was my first goal,” Ms.Garcia said.

She said that without her state certification test or educational background there was no way she could become a teacher.

Ms.Garcia said one of her accomplishments in teaching that she is most proud of was having one of her AP students score a four on the AP test. 

“That was amazing even though he is very bright and I feel he did most of the work himself it was amazing just to be a part of that,” Ms.Garcia said.

Ms. Garcia said that her former social studies teacher had such a big impact on her life that she wanted to do the same for other students.

“I had a really good senior government teacher when I was in high school, which is social studies which is so amazing and I still see him around,” Ms.Garcia said. 

Ms.Garcia said that everyone has to deal with some sort of obstacles but found it easy to overcome once she realized it was something that she needed to do.

“I think not wanting to go to school was something very difficult to overcome and actually getting up to class when there is not somebody there making sure that you’re going to school,” Social Studies teacher, Ms.Garcia said.

Ms. Garcia said that both of her parents didn’t go to college and graduated so now she has three younger siblings and all of them are in track to graduate so setting that example was a really proud moment for her.

“I am most proud of being a mom and two graduating from college I am the first one of my family to graduate from college,” Social Studies teacher, Ms. Garcia said.

Ms. Garcia said that the motivation for her siblings and set a good example and her boyfriend has always been an awesome support system for her also.

“My parents were very supportive throughout the whole process they were always really strong influence to my life,” Social Studies teacher, Ms. Gracia said.

Ms. Garcia said that she is not involved with any club or anything but she is the head of the social studies department.

Ms.Garcia said that she doesn’t do any other jobs besides teaching but she do loves reading and shopping.

“I have two twin boys so i spend most of my time with them when I am not in work,” Social Studies teacher, Ms.Garcia said.

Ms.Garcia said that she would love to get her master’s degree in the future in order to teach dual credit classes and teach in a community college.

Ms.Garcia said that the advice she would give to a younger relative would be to definitely stay in school and do something outside of high school because schooling is something very important in life.

“You can’t really find a job and make it right now without continuing your education,” Social Studies teacher, Ms.Garcia said.